Monday, July 8, 2013

Reduction

As a chef that term has a specific meaning.  You reduce a sauce or a recipe down to its most fundamental flavors. It's one of the things I learned from Chef Morimoto.  I mean from watching him on TV.  

It's a much larger metaphor to me as a person.  I try to think big.  I always have which inspired my cross country walk.  

But there's one immutable reality.  Life is always only just about this one step.  This one recipe.  This one service.    

I was born in 1970, the year of the dog.  Yesterday and tomorrow mean very little to me.  And as an aspiring chef, I don't think they should.  

Nothing matters more than the moment.  Thank you Chef.  




1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, and here is a small quote from Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee, Naqshbandi Sufi teacher. Live in the moment, Big Dog. :-)

    The eternal moment is outside of time
    Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee |

    The eternal moment is outside of time, is not a part of our past or our future, and yet it is lived amidst all our everyday activities. It is in the eternal moment that love is born. Love does not belong to time, and its timeless quality is well known to all lovers. The lover has to learn to still the mind in order to catch the moment and stay true to love's unfolding. Wayfarers tread a path that leads from illusions of time to the eternal moment that belongs to the soul.

    from SIGNS OF GOD by Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    ReplyDelete